Mustafa is currently working as an assistant professor in Department of Industrial Engineering at Boğaziçi University. The details of his current research at Boğaziçi University can be reached through upper menu. To summarize, he is interested in statistical learning and data mining for massive, multivariate data sets.
Mustafa was raised in three different cities, Malatya (where he was born), Tatvan (Bitlis) and Ankara. He was a student of Ataturk Anatolian High School before attending the Department of Industrial Engineering at Middle East Technical University (METU).
Bachelor and Masters
After getting the undergraduate degree, he decided to pursue a Masters degree in Industrial Engineering in the same department. He worked as a teaching and research assistant during his graduate studies. His research at that time was mainly on metaheuristics and optimization. The technical report of his thesis, Energy Efficient Coverage and Connectivity Problem in Wireless Sensor Networks, is provided in files section.
He joined Arizona State University after getting his M.S. degree in 2008. He started working with Prof. Nong Ye in January, 2009. His research focused on feature extraction for understanding neural activity and QoS optimization for service based systems in computer networks.
In January 2010, he started working with Prof. George Runger. As his research assistant, he has worked on several research projects. During his studies, he has completed an internship at Weyerhaeuser. His research focused on finding efficient representations for the time series and image classification problems. He got his PhD degree in August 2012.
Right after graduation, he started working as a postdoc under the supervision of Prof. Jing Li. He worked on mining and visualization of big data in large scale communication networks between 2012 and 2013.
- Council member, Data Mining Subdivision, INFORMS, 2014-2016
- Webmaster and newsletter editor, Data Mining Subdivision, INFORMS, 2011-2013
- Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery
- IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence
- IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering
- Digital Signal Processing
- IEEE Signal Processing Letters
- Journal of Global Optimization
- Optimization Letters
- Journal of Systems and Software
- IET Image Processing
- IIE Transactions on Healthcare Systems Engineering
- Quality Engineering
- Expert Systems With Applications
- Journal of Health Informatics Research
- Information Sciences
IE related software: Arena, CPLEX, GLPK, MATLAB, WEKA, GAMS — Programming Languages: C, R, Python, Ruby, Visual Basic, Siman
Office software: Word, Visio, Excel and Access